Sophia is a commercial barrister with a broad practice spanning all areas of Chambers’ work, including experience in banking, financial services, contractual, insolvency, media, professional negligence and general commercial disputes of all sizes.
Current and recent instructions include:
- Acting for a defendant group in SKAT v Solo Capital Lts & Ors, a multi-billion pound fraud claim by the Danish tax authority, with Andrew Onslow QC and Tom de Vecchi.
- Sole junior to Ali Malek QC in an appeal under section 69 Arbitration Act 1996 (HPOR Servicos de Consultoria Ltda v Dryships Inc & Anor).
- Acting as junior counsel to Ali Malek QC and Richard Brent QC in a multi-million pound amendment application in the Commercial Court raising issues of conflicts of laws (Avonwick Holdins Limited v Azitio Holdings Limited & Ors).
- Sole counsel in a damages hearing in the Circuit Commercial Court in London after the entry of default judgment.
- Sole counsel in numerous enforcement applications in the High Court, including winding up of a company, charging orders and orders for sale, and drafting an deed to facilitate enforcement of a judgment over a pension.
- Sole counsel in numerous banking and finance cases in the County Courts.
- Advising in respect of a large professional negligence case (led by Andrew Sutcliffe QC).
- Sophia has recently obtained a sought-after position as a Judicial Assistant in the Commercial Court.
- During pupillage Sophia assisted members of chambers on advices, arbitrations, and interlocutory applications, trials and appeals in the County Courts, High Court and Court of Appeal across 3VB’s practice areas.
- BA in Modern and Medieval Languages (French and Italian), Emmanuel College, Cambridge – First Class
- Graduate Diploma in Law – Distinction
- BPTC – Very Competent
- David Karmel Entrance Award, Holker Award and Pupil Advocacy Prize (Gray’s Inn)
- Advocacy Scholarship (University of Law, Bloomsbury) and Public Law Prize (University of Law, Guildford)
- Hackett Prize and Saxelby Senior Scholarship (both awarded and re-awarded), and College Prize (Emmanuel College)
- Spanish (basic)
- Portuguese (reading knowledge)