Ryan is a commercial barrister with a broad practice in commercial litigation and international arbitration.
Before coming to the Bar, Ryan worked in Shell’s Global Litigation Team. Ryan gained extensive experience in both ad hoc and institution arbitration under the LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL, LMAA and SIAC rules. He worked independently and as part of a team advising Shell entities on a range of matters including commercial contracts, tax, construction, JOA disputes, bilateral investment treaty claims and general commercial disputes in various upstream and downstream oil and gas sectors.
Ryan has gained experience (both led and as sole advocate) in both County Court and High Court proceedings. Recent instructions include:
- Appearing as sole counsel for the petitioner in High Court bankruptcy proceedings.
- Acting for a creditor in a claim for enforcement of a consumer credit agreement.
- Acting for a mortgage debtor in possession proceedings (including issues relating to the court’s jurisdiction to adjourn proceedings and/or grant a suspended possession order).
- Advising a company in liquidation as to the merits of a claim against its former landlord for unreasonable refusal/failure to consent to an assignment of the company’s leasehold interest under a commercial tenancy.
- Drafting pleadings for a well-known accountancy firm in respect of breach of a consultancy agreement.
- Advising as junior counsel led by David Head QC on potential claims arising from a bank’s withdrawal of correspondent banking services.
- Acting as junior counsel led by Richard Hanke in High Court proceedings involving allegations of civil fraud, unlawful means conspiracy, breach of trust, dishonest assistance and knowing receipt.
Ryan is also currently retained as Tribunal Secretary in concurrent ICC and LCIA arbitration proceedings concerning allegations of bribery, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, dishonest assistance, conspiracy and unjust enrichment.
Before taking tenancy, Ryan was exposed to the full spectrum of 3VB’s practice areas. His work involved drafting pleadings, skeleton arguments, arbitration briefs, and advices, and carrying out research, for claims in the County Court, High Court and Court of Appeal in respect of among other things:
- Consumer credit claims under s 140A of CCA 1974.
- Claims for breach of statutory duty under s 138D/150 of FSMA 2000, including allegations of IRHP mis-selling.
- Applications for mandatory and prohibitory injunctions, including anti-suit and anti-suit injunctive relief.
- Jurisdictional disputes in international arbitrations with both English and foreign seats.
- Professional negligence claims.
- Insurance and reinsurance.
- Unfair prejudice petitions under CA 2006, s 994, and claims involving breach of the general duties under CA 2006, ss 172-177.
- Insolvency and bankruptcy proceedings, including applications against delinquent directors under IA 1986, s 212, income payment orders under IA 1986, s 310, and bankruptcy petitions under IA 1986, Part IX and the 2016 Insolvency Rules.
- Other commercial and contractual claims.
- BPTC (City University, London) – Outstanding (2016)
- LL.M. (Commercial Law Specialisation) (University of Cambridge) (2015)
- LL.B. (4 year) (University of Warwick) – First Class, ranked first in year (2014)
- Princess Royal Scholarship (Inner Temple)
- City Law School Full-Fee (BTPC) Postgraduate Scholarship (City Law School)
- Wright Rogers Scholarship Grant (University of Cambridge)
- Stephen Cretney Prize (University of Warwick)
- Winner of the FTB Kingsland Cup and Prize Moot Competition
- Winner of the University of Cambridge Inter-Collegiate Mooting Competition
- Winner of the University of Warwick Internal Mooting Competition
Case Law Review: Fiduciary Duties of Operators (Practical Law) (co-authored with Adam Kramer) (forthcoming)
Case Law Review: Consequential Loss and Exclusive Remedies (Practical Law) (co-authored with Adam Kramer) (forthcoming)
Dissertation, “Ancillary Relief and the Case for ‘Outsider Reverse’ Veil-Piercing: Prest v Petrodel Resources Limited” (2014)